Saturday 16 December 2023

Post No. 2,663 - Autism and Psychism

Building on my recent personal reflections (e.g., see the posts here and here) and my life experience, I started to wonder: 

is there a connection, or at least an overlap, between autism and psychism?

This was particularly the case in a shop, as I mentioned recently (see the PS here), where I could sense and examine autistic responses and deal with them - or some of them, and to some extent - using my psychic protection techniques (especially flaming)

To be clear, when I contemplate that, I am aware that: 

  • not all autists are psychic; 
  • not all psychics are autists; 
  • psychism most definitely does NOT “explain” autism (and the notion that autism needs to be cured is bigotry), as the developmental impacts are clearly not related to psychic input; and 
  • psychic protection will NOT deal with all or even most autism issues (especially with regard to children).

However, maybe - to pick an arbitrary number to illustrate the scale of the effect I am considering - around 10% or less of sensory overload impacts could be amenable to management or reduction by psychic protection?

As usual with anything to do with psychic protection, that would only work if the necessary skills had been developed beforehand. Expecting someone under psychic stress to instantly develop and use what are advanced skills is amathiac. 

In my case, maybe the psychic skills I learned in the 70s and 80s contributed to me not being diagnosed as autistic? 

(I have also wondered if my physical activity when I was younger contributed to me not learning I was diabetic until my 40s - particularly given a marginal indication that I could be diabetic as a teenager ... but that would give me a life span that exceeded what was possible, so the age related trigger on top of a vulnerability makes more sense.)

After wondering the above at some ridiculous hour of last night, I did a quick search, and it turns out there is some evidence that possibly supports this. 

See: 

  • “Sensory supernatural experiences in autism”   https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/2153599X.2018.1548374   This is a dry, scientifically sceptical article (i.e., it does not believe that there is any reality to what is being reported) - which is wrong, but it does provide some statistical analysis, and links to other articles (which I have not read as yet)   

(I chose not to include one article that was focused on savants.)


PS - the existence of neurodivergent people (and ALL other people who differ from what is considered by the majority to be “the norm”) is a spiritual test of the empathy and basic decency of that neurotypical majority - most of who are failing badly

However, more fundamentally, the rich variety of people of difference exists to fulfil needs in our spiritual evolution (much as species exist to fill niche roles in the physical ecosystem - which also applies to the wide variety of neurotypical people: they too have roles to fill in our spiritual evolution): in the case of neurodivergent people, I consider part of that to be providing feedback on societal systems/norms, which occurs as an outcome of being able to view existence more objectively than neurotypical people who accept (often unthinkingly) norms that feel comfortable to the neurotypical person.
Thus,
in effect, neurodivergent people are (in part) a sort of spiritual conscience to the neurotypical world - if we are listened to.

Neurodivergent people also help to bring more empathy in to this world, which is part of being an essential part of the diversity of the spiritual ecosystem - essential for all the reasons that diversity is good and essential in all spheres of life, and for the reason(s) that physical existence came into being


PPS - I have been continuing my re-evaluation of my past, and the three years I was in Grades 1 and 2 at primary school - thats right: three years ... I repeated Grade 1 as I didn't adjust to school - I had loved kindergarten, and have memories from then, and from Grade 3 on, but not Grades 1 and 2. 

During those years, the impression I have is that I was so overwhelmed by the noise, lights, crowding, and activity that I underwent something akin to dissociation, perhaps (on that, see here and here).
I think this was when my adoptive parents started to struggle with me not being what they expected - but they persevered, and did their best and did well. This may well have also been when my adoptive maternal grandparents babysat me one evening, and apparently I crawled behind the couch and wouldn
t come out all evening. I may have cried or even screamed when Mum and Dad left ... (and I was always a bit terrified of those grandparents - they were stern, but not abusive that I can recall, so Im not sure whether there was any particular reason for that ... )

But if the world had known then what it does now, it would have recognised me as autistic - a female autist ...


Possible flaws 

Where I can, I will try to highlight possible flaws / issues you should consider:

  • there may be flawed logical arguments in the above: to find out more about such flaws and thinking generally, I recommend Brendan  Myers’ free online course “Clear and Present Thinking” 
  • I could be wrong - so keep your thinking caps on, and make up your own minds for yourself.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram

Remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, to mind our Mӕgan, and to acknowledge that all misgendering is an act of active transphobia/transmisia that puts trans+ lives at risk & accept that all insistence on the use of “trans” as a descriptor comes with commensurate use of “cis” as a descriptor to prevent “othering”.