Saturday 16 September 2023

Post No. 2,584 - Vindictiveness and other miscellaneous thoughts [Content Warning: discussion of/links to articles on jealousy, vindictiveness, narcissism]

Something that has really struck me as I watch the savage politics being played by the “no” campaign against the Voice to Parliament in Australia (see, for instance here, here, here, and here) is the desperate lengths some people will go to in order to in order to stop change. 

It doesnt matter to these destructive individuals that they are perpetuating active harm by stopping a change for the better - for “the Greater Good”, if you prefer; they just want to see the people they hate - or are jealous of - lose, or get revenge no matter how many people are harmed in the course of doing that. 

The former motivation is unacceptable; if the latter is based on genuine issues of injustice (which does NOT apply to the “no” campaign, as they are actively perpetuating white supremacist and colonialist harms), those issues need to be addressed to the satisfaction of the victim, but in a BPM way that is genuinely healing and thus satisfactory to the victim - which must also prevent repeating the harm. 

If there is a need for some sort of karmic return or lesson, leave that to the Universe - especially as the obvious problem with such a view is that, from a reincarnation/karmic return point of view, it could be argued that what has happened is exactly such a return, with the victim now having been a perpetrator in the past. 

For what it is worth, I dont consider that is how the Universe works, but if considering that line of argument helps people get past their current state of being to a more constructive, open-to-healing state of being, Ill use it. 

My experience with this problem has been being on the receiving end of jealous individuals who wrongly think my life has no problems. 

I have even received death threats, I have had such people steal money from my purse because they wrongly assumed I had plenty of money (which would have left my partner without medication if the woman heading the circle had not replaced the money), attempts to get me physically lost, civility traps (mentioned here), and projects to improve wastewater treatment and thus benefit the environment and communities undermined. 

I am particularly angry at the personally insecure bigot who did the latter. I tried to get others to take that on, but with no interest other than indirectly from China.

Spiritually and in almost every other sense, however, the worst example of this is the fashionable cynic - the amathiac individual who advocates doing nothing on the grounds of hopelessness, which is an active act of perpetuated evil

So ... next time you want to pre-judge someone on the basis of a presumed and quite possibly fantasised advantage (and to be clear; DISCRIMINATION IS REAL - I am not referring to that, only hatred towards one individual), or you think personal status and that ilk are more important than something of benefit to a larger group, or you want to give free rein to spite (perhaps because you are unable to cope in a mature way with change - such as losing a friend to a relationship) ... 

dont

That will take effort - it is not a case of trying to use willpower: there will need to be some real personal growth in that. 

Now, a few other points I want to touch on: 

  • I recently read a post on social media criticising those who criticised narcissists.
    Now, the basis for objector's post was that attacking people on the basis of a medical diagnosis is not helpful, and that is true enough, but with narcissism - and psychopathy - one of the most compelling needs is to stop harm being done to others first. So yes, the lashing out of victims may not help the perpetrator heal, but the first and most compelling need is of the victim(s),and putting energy into that rather than criticising lashing out is, I consider, more constructive.
    This topic also reminds me of the following, from this post of mine on my political blog
  • something I have written about before is the concept of time waves from particular events (see here).
    Of late, as I examine the character changes in my most recent lives, I have wondered if the same sort of thing can happen with regard to personal growth actions.
    The benefit to our future self is fairly obvious ... except we don't necessarily reincarnate in a linear time fashion, but setting that aside for now ... a lot of what drives the time waves of events is emotion - good, as well as bad ... so, what if the emotion of personal realisations etc can also drive time waves?
    I suspect how this works may be splitting off alternative time lines more than the 
    “it has already happened” trope, but ... Ill do some thinking on that - especially as working to address my past and my past influences has been a key part of my work since the 80s (albeit mostly with a focus on healing/strengthening where required);
  • my final thought is on persistence.
    I have a few word games - and Solitaire - that I occasionally play online for relaxation, and I can sometimes solve the word game (Quordle) on the last possible attempt. That has been a useful reminder for me personally of the value of persisting, and not being overwhelmed by an approaching cut-off point/deadline/etc.

Possible flaws 

Where I can, I will try to highlight possible flaws / issues you should consider:

  • there may be flawed logical arguments in the above: to find out more about such flaws and thinking generally, I recommend Brendan  Myers’ free online course “Clear and Present Thinking” 
  • I could be wrong - so keep your thinking caps on, and make up your own minds for yourself.

 

If you appreciated this post, please consider promoting it - there are some links below, and theres also Instagram and Mastodon

Vote Yes for the Voice in Australia - see this backgrounder.  

Finally, remember: we generally need to be more human being rather than human doing, and to mind our Mӕgan.